Request for Viceregal Patronage

The governor general plays a key role in promoting national identity by supporting and promoting Canadian values, diversity, inclusion, culture and knowledge. As such, the governor general supports associations and organizations for their outstanding contributions to society.

Patronage is granted at the discretion of the governor general to organizations that meet the following criteria: 

  • They have objectives aligned with the role and responsibilities of the governor general
  • They are national in scope
  • They are governed and managed responsibly and sustainably
  • They have a solid record of achievement with programs implemented on an annual basis

The governor general may also extend patronage support to specific organizations that reflect the priorities and the interests of the mandate.

Patronage is granted to an organization or a program only for the duration of the current governor general’s term in office. It applies to national bodies, not to its local branches or auxiliaries. If continued patronage is desired, an organization should submit a request to each succeeding governor general.

The governor general will not be involved in the organization’s governance and cannot be involved in fundraising efforts. Patronage does not guarantee the governor general’s involvement in, or attendance at, events being held by host organizations.

Organizations submitting a request for viceregal patronage must provide supporting documentation, including a brief history, a list of its objectives, details on its sources of funding, a list of other current patrons (if any) and/or members of the board of directors, a short financial report, and any other pertinent information.

To submit a request, submit the online form and send supporting documentation to or by regular mail to:

The Governor General of Canada
C/O: Program Planning — Viceregal Patronage
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0A1

For questions or assistance, please contact us at or by telephone at 613-993-8200 or toll-free 1-800-465-6890.