Awards in Visual and Media Arts
March 27, 2018
Presentation of the Governor General’s Awards
in Visual and Media Arts
OTTAWA— Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada, will present the 2018 Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Wednesday, March 28, 2018, at 6 p.m.
The Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts are Canada’s foremost awards for excellence in these artistic disciplines. The prizes are awarded annually to visual and media artists for distinguished career achievement in a broad spectrum of fields, including photography, performance art, experimental film and video, new media, and metalsmithing. The awards also include the Saidye Bronfman Award for excellence in the fine crafts, as well as a prize for outstanding contributions to the visual and/or media arts in a volunteer or professional capacity.
The following laureates will be honoured this year:
- Glenn Alteen, curator, director, Vancouver (Outstanding Contribution Award)
- Bruce Eves, visual artist, Toronto
- Wyn Geleynse, media artist, London, Ont.
- Spring Hurlbut, visual artist, Toronto
- Midi Onodera, media artist, Toronto
- Sandra Semchuk, photographer, Vancouver
- Adrian Stimson, visual and performance artist, Siksika (Blackfoot) Nation in Alberta
- Jack Sures, ceramic artist, Regina (Saidye Bronfman Award)
The prizes are funded, administered and promoted by the Canada Council for the Arts. For more information on the Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts and on this year’s laureates, please visit ggavma.canadacouncil.ca.
Media wishing to cover this event are asked to confirm their attendance with the Rideau Hall Press Office, and must arrive at the Princess Anne Entrance no later than 5:45 p.m.
on the day of the ceremony.
Rideau Hall Press Office
Canada Council for the Arts
613-566-4414, ext. 5151
For interviews with the laureates, please contact
Follow GGJuliePayette and RideauHall on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.