Peace Officer Exemplary Service Medal
The Peace Officer Exemplary Service Medal, created on June 22, 2004, recognizes peace officers who have served in an exemplary manner, characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency.
Recipients of the Peace Officer Exemplary Service Medal (POESM) must have completed at least 20 years of exemplary service protecting the safety and security of the Canadian public with one or more organizations (federal, provincial or municipal) that employ peace officers. Ten of these years of service must have been spent performing duties involving potential risk. The peace officer must have performed these duties on the front line, on-site, in the field, or in direct service/contact with the public.
Although a certain number of individuals are listed as peace officers in the Criminal Code of Canada, the candidates’ duties must call for them to be peace officers exclusively.
The eligibility of an organization that employs peace officers must be approved by the Advisory Committee before it can nominate potential candidates. For further information on the application process or the nomination process, please contact the POESM program officer at 613-993-2270 or write to ESM‑MSE‑NOMINATIONS@gg.ca.
- The Peace Officer Exemplary Service Medal consists of a circular medal with a shield set on a star on a maple leaf.
- The words "Exemplary Service — Services distingués" form a circle around the maple leaf on the obverse of the medal, and The Royal Cypher appears on the reverse of the medal.
- A bar may be awarded for every subsequent period of 10 years of qualifying service.
- The Medal is suspended by a ribbon featuring a band of dark blue at the outer edge, flanked by a narrower band of light blue and then a band of gold with a single wide band of green at the centre.
A new electronic nomination form has been developed to facilitate the nomination process. Click on the link below to get started.
- As of May 12, 2015, only electronic forms will be accepted by the Chancellery of Honours.
- More than one nomination can be listed on each form.
If you do not already have Adobe Reader, download the latest version for free from the Adobe website.
Save the blank form on your computer desktop.
Use Adobe Reader to Open the file.
Note to Google Chrome users:
Google Chrome uses a different PDF reader that may render the form inoperable. To avoid this issue, open the file from the folder where it was saved.
To locate the PDF file from your browser, click on the arrow next to the downloaded file icon at the bottom left of your screen and click on "Show in folder" (on a PC) or "Show in Finder" (on a Mac). Double-click to open the file.
Fill in all fields and carefully review the information for accuracy.
Save the completed form.
Attach the completed form to an email and send it to the next level for approval.
PLEASE NOTE: Each user must click on the "Recommend" button to identify that it has been approved at each level.
The last person to approve the nomination(s) must send the completed form (via e-mail only) to ESM‑MSE‑NOMINATIONS@gg.ca, for processing by the Chancellery of Honours.
If you experience difficulties downloading or viewing the nomination form, a copy of it can be sent to you via email.
For more information or technical assistance on the nomination process or the Exemplary Service Medal program, please contact us, by telephone at 613-993-2270 or (toll-free) 1-800-465-6890, or by email at ESM‑MSE‑NOMINATIONS@gg.ca.